Related List : Attach Incoming SMS to a Record
Received SMS can appear as a related list attached to any object. It can be also shown as a task in Activity history, you need to know some programming to configure this. (Refer Programmer’s Guide)
To show incoming SMS as a related list you have to follow two steps:
- Go to Setup > App Setup > Create > Objects
- Click “Incoming SMS”
- Go to Custom Fields and Relationships; click New. Choose the field type
- Go to Data Type “Look Up Relationship”, Select it.Choose the related object
- Select the other object (May be standard and Custom both) on which (Page Layout) you want Lookup on. (for e.g. we selected Contact)Enter the label and name for lookup field
- Click on “Field Name”. The “Field Label” content gets copied in “Field Name”.
- Check “Child Relationship Name”, it should be Incoming_SMS
- Select the field level access & click next.
- Add to the layouts required and click next.
- Now save it.
Now the lookup is created, you can see it under “Custom links and relationships” of “Incoming SMS” object
If you have the standard Salesforce format i.e (123) 456-7890, then you can goto SMS Magic settings and follow the below mentioned steps.
However, If you have mobile numbers stored in different formats then you will have to write a custom trigger on incoming SMS that will pick up the mobile number from SMS and search it with various number formats present in your organization. An example of such trigger is present under http://screen-magic.com/resources/?page_id=133.
- Goto SMS Magic Settings –> Incoming Lookup Configuration –> new incoming_lookup_config
- Fill in the the object name, field name which stores mobile number & the lookup API name ( that was created in Step 1).
Now the incoming SMS’s will be attached to the contact record.